Saturday 2 July 2011

VLC

The Video Lan Client, or VLC for short, is one of those essential apps that I install on any new machine, and carry with me as a portable app. It will play just about any video, image or audio file you can throw at it; and it's easy to use, realtively lightweight and does just work.
It's open source and cross platform, so you would think it would be the same across all platforms, at least in the major UI aspects.
BUT...for some unexplainable reason there is a very useful item missing from the OS X version of VLC. See if you can spot what is missing

Here is the VLC in OS X


 Here is VLC in Windows XP (strange that the frame wasn't captured - that is a weird thing in XP I guess)

And here is VLC in Ubuntu Linux

So the first thing you notice is the host of extra buttons available in the non-OS X versions; not surprising given the apparent Apple philosophy of less is more. But that's OK, I don't often use those options, and when I need to I don't mind tracking up to the menu bar to access them. But what is annoying is the run time, or absence of it. In the non-OS X apps, I can easily see that I am about 24 minutes in to a 1 hour 35 minute film; I know I've got about 1 hour 10 left to go.
In the OS X version, I have only a vague idea how long is left to go by doing some mental guestimation. Trust me, knwoing the length of the video is pretty darn useful to know, especially if I've got 2 hours free, I don't want to start watching a 2hour 20 min movie.
Just inexplicable.

No comments:

Post a Comment